* indicates a required field
2024 DEI Academy
New Orleans Marriott
Wednesday, April 3, 2024 | 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM CT
Application Deadline: Tuesday, October 31, 2023 at 11:59 PM ET.
Program DescriptionCAPCSD’s DEI Academy is an intensive one-day program providing academic programs with resources, strategies, and training needed to meet diversity, equity, inclusion (DEI), and belonging goals, consistent with having a workforce ready to serve the population. This program is designed to equip CSD professionals at our member programs with the skills to facilitate conversations and work toward change related to DEI within their programs. This year’s DEI Academy will be led by Dr. Jerrihlyn McGee, Vice Chancellor for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at the University of Kansas Medical Center.
The Academy will provide frameworks for understanding DEI within CSD programs as part of the allied health professions tasked with serving individuals across varied populations. Next, attendees will learn practical strategies for talking about and advocating for an environment in which all students and professionals, regardless of background or identity, can thrive and feel that they belong. This content will cover implicit biases, cultural and linguistic responsiveness, while engaging attendees in hands‐on learning, requiring active participation, as they explore practical strategies. This will be followed by information to assist the learner in understanding how to adapt and tailor strategies for their own program and professional role.
AbstractThis day-long workshop is designed to elevate CSD professionals’ knowledge, skills, attitudes, abilities, and behaviors, around diversity related topics. The workshop is intended to facilitate learning and develop strategies around 1) implicit bias; 2) cultural intelligence; 3) caring for diverse populations; 4) facilitating conversations around DEIB; 5) creating therapeutic learning and working environments; 6) organizational culture and readiness; and 7) navigating DEIB in current legislative climate.
- Monday, October 2, 2023 - Applications open
- Tuesday, October 31, 2023 - Applications are due at 11:59 PM ET
- Wednesday, December 6, 2023 - All applicants are notified regarding selection
- Wednesday, January 31, 2024 - Participants must confirm, register, and pay registration fee, or an alternate participant will be selected.
Application InformationComplete the application and provide the requested information and responses.
- Contact information
- Upload a CV
- Department Annual Budget
- Number of academic faculty (estimate)
- Number of clinical faculty (estimate)
- My program/university offers diversity, equity, and inclusion training.
- Did you attend your program/university diversity, equity, and inclusion training, and if so, what year?
- I previously participated in formal diversity, equity, and inclusion leadership training outside my program/university. List the program and year.
- Briefly describe your professional goals related to diversity, equity, and inclusion for the next 2-3 years.
- Briefly tell us about a personal and/or professional experience, or one you observed, that helped you understand the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion as a central issue.
- Why is attending the CAPCSD DEI Academy important to you?
- How would your program benefit from your participation in the CAPCSD DEI Academy?
- Briefly tell us what you find challenging about facilitating diversity, equity, and inclusion discussions, training, or initiatives in your CSD program.
- If you could learn only one thing at the CAPCSD DEI Academy to take back to your program, what would it be?