* indicates a required field
Welcome to the SBI 2022 Abstract Submission Site
Log in to the Abstract Portal
Click 'Create Account' to begin your first abstract submission.
Please scroll down for submission instructions and event details.
Already a User?
The Society of Breast Imaging welcomes the submission of original abstracts for the 2022 SBI/ACR Breast Imaging Symposium, to be held May 16-19, 2022 in Savannah, GA. We invite all members and nonmembers alike to submit abstracts for oral and/or electronic presentation. Presenting at the Symposium gives authors the opportunity to network and discuss their research with experts in the field.
- Abstracts must be submitted through the online abstract portal. No email submissions will be accepted. Only the individual listed as the official contact of the submission has authority to withdraw it or revise content.
- Abstracts must be received by October 15, 2021 at 11:59 PM EST (10:59 PM CST, 8:59 PM PST). You will not be able to access the system after that time. You may create an abstract, save it, and return for edits any time prior to the deadline. The Complete Submission button must be clicked before October 15, 2021 at 11:59 PM EST.
- Changes to abstract titles or abstract text, as well as additions or deletions of author names, will not be permitted after submission. Exceptions may be made in case of emergency. Confirm your author list and proofread your abstract to correct any errors before submission.
- You may submit abstracts in either the Scientific or Educational categories. Both trainees and in-practice physicians or scientists may submit an abstract. Promissory abstracts will not be accepted for submissions to the Scientific category.
- Submission of an abstract constitutes a commitment by the author(s) to present their work if the abstract is accepted. If you must withdraw your abstract, please email email@example.com. Include your name, confirmation number, and abstract title.
- Your presentation must be balanced and may not contain commercial promotional content.
- All submissions must be HIPAA compliant. Patient confidentiality must be protected. No names, hospital ID numbers, or any other identifying information can appear in your presentation.
- Abstracts must present research that has not previously been published or presented.
- Abstracts must be submitted in English.
- Blind Peer Review Policy: In accordance with SBI’s abstract blind peer review policy, your submission title, abstract, or uploaded figures should not contain author names, institution names, general location, or any such information that may identify where the work originated.
- Intellectual Property Notice: Reported misuse of intellectual property persists. Your decision to include borrowed materials (text, images, graphs, charts, etc.) in your exhibit may fall within 'fair use' for educational purposes. However, such materials should never be presented as if they are your own. You must assure that sources of borrowed material are clearly labeled in your presentation, including full citations for any copyrighted material. It is also best practice to inform and/or seek the permission of the original creator of non-copyrighted content before using it in your lecture.
- In submitting his or her Scientific or Educational Abstract (hereafter the "content") to SBI for possible presentation at the 2022 SBI/ACR Breast Imaging Symposium, the author retains copyright to the content and agrees to give SBI a limited, nonexclusive, royalty-free license to present the content on the SBI website and in its educational programs, and to archive the content for maintenance of the scientific record. SBI agrees not to sub-license the content to a third party.
- Notification of acceptances will be made on December 6, 2021.
Scientific – Oral or Electronic Presentations
Scientific abstract submissions may be (1) completed hypothesis-driven research with a comprehensive report; (2) a work-in-progress report of ongoing research of emerging ideas and techniques and containing initial yet defined results; or (3) a brief pertinent report of a particular new aspect or understanding of breast imaging.
Abstracts should report findings as concisely as possible using the section headings below:
- Materials and Methods
Abstracts are limited to 400 words total. A Clinical Relevance statement, not to exceed 50 words, is required and a part of the 400 word limit. For review purposes only, up to 5 optional figures to support your work may accompany your submission [individual figures must be captured in a single .jpg file and are limited to image(s) and/or graph(s)]. Abstracts will be selected for presentation on the basis of scientific merit.
Educational – Electronic Presentation Only
Educational abstract submissions are exhibits on a clinical aspect of breast imaging or breast imaging education. Topics may be wide ranging and may include issues such as image interpretation, procedure technique, non-interpretative clinical skills, educational techniques, and imaging economics. Educational presentations may include case series or pictorial essays demonstrating particular imaging features or clinical or educational concepts.
The format for educational abstracts should include the following section headings:
- Learning Objectives
- Abstract Content (What will you present?)
The Abstract Content should explain how the Learning Objectives will be met. For example, the Abstract Content should describe the format of the presentation (e.g., pictorial review, case series, presentation of non-interpretive skills, etc.) and provide details such as the number of cases that will be presented and the range of findings or non-interpretive issues that will be presented. Submission of an optional figure is encouraged for imaging-related topics because the strength of educational abstracts often rests on the quality of the imaging.
Information for Accepted Abstracts
Oral Abstract Presentations: Abstracts selected for oral presentation will be presented at an assigned date and time in a moderated meeting room setting at the 2022 SBI Symposium. Formal presentations are limited to seven minutes followed by three minutes for Q&A and discussion. A PowerPoint presentation is required and must be uploaded via the Conference Harvester.
Electronic Abstract Presentations: Electronic abstracts are showcased via a PowerPoint PDF presentation accessible from the Symposium website. Your PowerPoint must be uploaded prior to the Symposium via the Conference Harvester. Your presentation should be created to allow the attendee to view a presentation in its entirety in approximately five minutes. Presenters will also have the option to add a 5 minute audio recording over their slides. Symposium attendees can submit questions to the authors and provide feedback via the conference platform.
Research Prizes: Two research prizes will be awarded: one to a medical student/resident (at time of submission) and one to a fellow in training (at time of submission), based on scientific merit. In addition to complimentary registration and a travel stipend, research prizes include $1,000 in honorarium and an award to each winning resident and fellow. Winning abstracts may be reproduced in the member newsletter, SBI News, and/or the Journal of Breast Imaging. An honoraria prize is also awarded to the two highest-scoring electronic abstracts.
Withdrawals: The deadline to withdraw an accepted abstract is Friday, February 11, 2022. A formal request must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. After this date, withdrawals are still accepted but abstracts may still appear in annual meeting materials. Failure to present an accepted abstract may result in the first author and all co-authors’ disqualification from presenting an abstract at the next ACR Annual Meeting.
Registration and Travel: Abstract authors are responsible for their Symposium registration and travel arrangements. SBI does not provide honorarium or reimbursement of travel expenses, with the exception of scientific award winners. Registration fees for all other authors will directly correspond to their current membership status.
2022 Scientific Program Timeline Date Event 8/02/2021 2022 Abstract Submissions Open 10/15/2021 Submission Deadline (11:59 pm EST) 12/06/2021 Author Notification of Abstract Decision 12/15/2021 Oral Presenter Attendance Confirmation Due 03/11/2022 Oral and Electronic Abstract Presentations Due 5/16/2022 - 5/19/2022 2022 SBI/ACR Breast Imaging Symposium - Savannah, GA